Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mandrake 10.0
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
magnaflux
I hope somebody can help. I've tried installing Mandrake 10.0 (Community Edition) several times and at the end of the install, I reboot the machine (AMD 300MHZ w/4.3G HD), at that time the monitor displays a command line screen that displays: >GRUB (and just sits there).
When I enter the command "boot" (or any other command), it displays a message "must load kernel". Now, I have the 3 CD set and it has kernel 2.6.3 on the the distro. What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Bill
P.S.- can email directly also at: Removed by DS2K3
michaelk
Just the grub prompt means that it can not find the menu.lst file located in the /boot/grub directory.
Is the drive just a regular 4.3 IDE type hard drive?
What are the other specifications of this computer?

I assume this is not a duel boot PC?
magnaflux
Michael,
Thanks for the reply!
Yes, it is an IDE Drive, and it is single boot, the OS uses all of the 4.3G HD. The machine has a 36X CD ROM(no burner), 2.5" floppy drive, 196M ROM, and the AMD K6-2(300MHZ) processor. It also has a 10/100 NIC card, sound card and 1.0 USB expansion card. The monitor is a CTX 1765 VGA.
I'll try the path you suggested. I used the command/path: boot /dev/hda.
If you have any more ideas, I would really appreciate it. I have been running SUSE 9.3 Professional on that machine, but I like Mandrake better.
Thanks again,
Bill
michaelk
You can try reinstall grub.
Boot the 1st CD into the rescue mode
I have not run Mandrake in a while but the /(root) partition will be mounted somewhere under /mnt
Change to that directory via the cd command and then enter the following commands
chroot .
grub-install /dev/hda (assuming the drive location)
DS2K3
Mandriva rescue mode has an option that should reinstall grub/lilo for you. If you havent tried using Lilo, it might be worth seeing if it works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.