Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello everyone
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
punksoul257
I'm new to linux, i'm running DSL from within windows XP so i can get my head around it before maybe replacing XP.

I have a few questions. Is it possible to dual boot with Linux on my pc?
Are there any Linux drivers for my Linksys WUSB54GS Usb wifi adaptor?
Are there any Linux drivers for my Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy EX?
Where is the best place to find software for Linux?
Finally...(not sure if its allowed) is there a bit torrent client for Linux?

Thanks for any help guys smile.gif
DS2K3
Yes - You can dual-boot

There are unlikely to be drivers for a USB WiFi adapter - USB is a bit of a pain really, even in Windows (trying to have one technology for everything you want to use is a bit hit and miss). That's not say that other USB devices wont work - Most will proabbly work fine. But USB + WiFi is quite extreme!

Most soundcards are supported by Linux, it will quite possibly work out of the box - Especially if you use a desktop distribution like Fedora or Mandriva

Most distributions come with a ton of software. There are sites like happypenguin.org which list software though. Reading our Wiki.linuxhelp.net is a good place to start, as is any linux news site or magasine.

There is an official BitTorrent client!

D
Termina
A bit off topic, but has anyone tried USB wifi using ndiswrapper?

I'm curious if anyone has had any success with it. =)
DS2K3
Not tried it myself, but I imagine that the additional USB-communication would be beyond the scope of ndiswrapper. That said, if the usb device was made to emulate a PCI one by the kernel (maybe there is a common interface for network devices already) then it could work. It dont have any USB wireless devices myself (come to think of it, I dont have any wireless stuff fullstop) so I cant have a play sad.gif

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.