Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing SUSE packages?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
matt
Just wondering. I'm used to using debians apt-get to install packages but reciently I've been trying out suse. Anyway im wondering how do I download and install packages from the terminal?
dishawjp
SUSE uses RPM to install programs, like Red Hat and Mandriva and others.

The command:

rpm -Uvh <somefile.rpm>

is always safe. If you're sure that there isn't a previous install of the program, you may use:

rpm -ivh <somefile.rpm>

Of course with SUSE, you have YaST2 for graphical installs, and you can get a version of apt4rpm (very similar to Debian's apt-get) if you prefer.

And of course, you can always install from .src.rpms (rpmbuild --rebuild and etc.) and installing from source hasn't changed and is no different from any other Linux distro (tar -xzvf (or similar depending on compression) and then usually ./configure, make, make install, make clean or whatever the INSTALL or README file recommends.

To download files, try rpmfind.net or rpmpbone.net to find files for download.

HTH,

Jim
matt
So would I have to wget the rpms? or download them with links. I need to know because im expermenting with X and if It crashes ill have no way to restore the packages if i need to get them back from the net. But thats a mill for the advice. its really appreciated. biggrin.gif
Robert83
Hi,

Suse uses yast from the console to manage rpm's as well. If I'm right, but unfortunately I cannot be 100% sure, because I have a thing for Suse smile.gif

Sincerely
Robert B
dishawjp
So would I have to wget the rpms? or download them with links

Depending on the site, you may be able to use wget, links (or lynx which I prefer), possibly ftp. All this is assuming you can't access X and do things with a graphical browser.

Is there a particular reason that you're operating in console mode? Just curious, it's not like there aren't lots of perfectly good reasons to not even install X.

Jim
matt
Im just wondering in case I try SUSE in the future as a web server or if X ever crashes on me.
matt
Accually im not having trouble adding a souce to suse http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/kde...SuSE/ix86/10.0/ so I can get the latest KDE version. It keeps giving me an error unable to create installation source. Whats the best way I can download and install the packages without doing every package one by one?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.