Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Webcam Driver Issues
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
vixenk
I think this is a driver issue, but I'm not entirely sure...

I'm using Mandriva 2006 with Gnome and I have a GE EasyCam, model #HO98063. In GnomeMeeting, if I set up the webcam to use V4L, when I try turning it on I recieve the error message:

CODE
"Error while opening video device /dev/v4l/video0

A moving GnomeMeeting logo will be transmitted during calls. Notice that you can always transmit a given image or the moving GnomeMeeting logo by choosing "Picture" as video plugin and "MovingLogo" or "StaticPicture" as device.

There was an error while opening the device. Please check your permissions and make sure that the appropriate driver is loaded."

Whenever I set up the webcam to use pictures instead and then try turning it on, I don't even get an error message - just the black screen with the GnomeMeeting logo bouncing around it like I never tried turning the webcam on in the first place.

In the hardware management console, the cam shows up as:

CODE
"Identification
Vendor: ‎Unknown

Description: ‎USB camera

Media class: ‎

Connection
Bus: ‎USB

Bus PCI #: ‎3

PCI device #: ‎3

Vendor ID: ‎3141

Device ID: ‎24589

Misc
Module: ‎sn9c102"

When I click on "configure module", all the catagories are blank *video_nr, specify, you, for, 1, the, one, etc.* and I have no idea as to how to configure them.

I have the driver cd, but of COURSE it's for Windows only. I tried installing it under Wine *I have no idea why, lol*, but it had issues finding every file it needed during installation even though the files it needed were on the cd. :S

I've heard before that you can compile Windows drivers for Linux, but wouldn't even know where to begin on that...

So could someone help me out here? I'm looking for either a Linux driver for this webcam, instructions on how to manually configure it, or instructions on how to compile and install the Windows drivers *assuming it is a driver issue*. I have all the development packages installed so compiling it wouldn't be a problem - I would just need someone to guide me through doing it.

Sorry for such a long post, I'm just trying to make sure you have all the info you may need in order to help me out. smile.gif
DS2K3
You cant compile windows drivers for Linux - Even if they gave you the source code (which I doubt) the architecture is too different for it to b done without expert knowledge of both linux and windows driver development. YOu CAN use some Windows nretwork drivers with Linux, but the same is not true for video cameras.

Unplug your camera, open a root console (either presst ctrl-alt-f1 and login as root, or start a program like konsole and run "su -") then run "tail -f /var/log/messages"

Plug in the camera, and you should see some kernel output explaining what's happening. Post it here, since it should make it clearer why it isnt working.

It might be worth me explaining that I have never got Mandriva 2006 to work with a web cam, although other version worked flawlessly - Which leads me o think that maybe they missed some kernel modules or usb support when they built the kernel for 2006.

D
vixenk
[quote]You cant compile windows drivers for Linux - Even if they gave you the source code (which I doubt) the architecture is too different for it to b done without expert knowledge of both linux and windows driver development. YOu CAN use some Windows nretwork drivers with Linux, but the same is not true for video cameras.[/quote]
Ah, k, thanks for explaining that to me. smile.gif

[quote]Plug in the camera, and you should see some kernel output explaining what's happening. Post it here, since it should make it clearer why it isnt working.[/quote]
CODE
Apr  3 20:27:59 localhost kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
Apr  3 20:27:59 localhost kernel: usb 3-1: SN9C10[12] PC Camera Controller detected (vid/pid 0x0C45/0x600D)
Apr  3 20:27:59 localhost kernel: usb 3-1: PAS106B image sensor detected
Apr  3 20:27:59 localhost kernel: usb 3-1: Initialization succeeded
Apr  3 20:27:59 localhost kernel: usb 3-1: V4L2 device registered as /dev/video0Apr  3 20:27:59 localhost kernel: usb 3-1: Optional device control through 'sysfs' interface ready
Apr  3 20:27:59 localhost pam_console.dev[8377]: Restoring console permissions for /dev/v4l/video0  /dev/video /dev/video0

[quote]It might be worth me explaining that I have never got Mandriva 2006 to work with a web cam, although other version worked flawlessly - Which leads me o think that maybe they missed some kernel modules or usb support when they built the kernel for 2006.[/quote]
I really hope not. sad.gif
DS2K3
Well, it is being detected correctly by V4L, which I guess is good news. Have you been able to use it in any other applications? (I'm having trouble thinking of any other applications that use a webcam, but if I think of any I'll let you know)

D
vixenk
No, I haven't tried it in any other applications yet, mostly because I thought other applications wouldn't make any difference since they all rely on the V4L driver. But I'll try something else out, and let you know how it goes. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.