Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DMA problem with SATA drive
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Hemant
I have a Acer notebook that comes with some hard disk...that very few linux distros like. So far it was only Suse detected it properly.. and was mounted as /dev/sda.

To make it work in Gentoo and FC-4, with kernel version 2.6.12..i had to edit piix.c driver file by hand..and i removed SCSI support altogether from kernel and though my drive was recoginsed as /dev/hdc..but still DMA started working.

Then, i tried 2.6.15 version of vanilla kernel on Gentoo. In this version..the lines i used to edit in piix.c file has been removed, so somewhere from Gentoo forums....i got the information. And this time..i removed IDE/ATA support from the kernel and added SCSI support. This time..my hard disk was recognised as /dev/sda..so i edited /etc/fstab file and was able to boot the new kernel.

Now..some madness too over me..and i replaced Gentoo installation with FC-5 and now..FC5 sees my hard disk as /dev/hdc and no DMA. This time..i tried my old trick and removed IDE/ATA support and compiled a kernel with only SCSI support. So i guess again my device entries have changed to /dev/sda.Now my problem is i can't edit /etc/fstab this time..because this fstab contains device entries in form of LABELS. Though..i have tried editing the whole file..and remove the labels and put raw paritions information there..still i am not able to boot with this new kernel.

Any ideas?? where does this LABEL information gets stored?
whowhywhat
hi hemant,
i have a acer travelmate 4150wlmi. i had the same problem you have of dma not working on the hard disk. again my hdd was reported as hdc. i have finally (lots of pain) managed to solve the problems and get practically all features of the laptop working fine. i had to use a patched 2.6.16-rc6 kernel . im using debian (simply mephis 3.4.3 actually). it is a live cd from which i can install and i also use it as a rescue disk. the installed system is blazing fast biggrin.gif .. i dont have windows on my system .. and i dont miss it one bit.
i can send you the config file if required. i just downloaded the linux 2.6.16-rc6 kernel .. got all the necessary build tools (apt-get). patched the kernel. configured it, compiled it made the inittab .. made changes in the fstab, grub system map and menu.lst (changing hdc to sda).. rebooted .. it works like a charm. i hope this helps. the only thing i havent got working yet is iptables tongue.gif .. gotto make time to look at that .. the only patch i used was http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/pre-rele...2.6.16-rc6-ck1/
hope this helps. if required ill send you my config file.

regards,
madhukar

ps:
i did try a whole bunch of different linux kernels (feel like pulling my hair out) and all the usual tricks (scsi compiled into kernel with no ide support.. etc etc). from what ive read the problem is in acer's implimentation of the sata drive. the bios has no option to set a sata mode. and the hdd in these note books is actually a pata (with ubuntu dapper standard kernel my laptop freezes on detecting sata in scsi mode). goddamn non standard implementation (curse acer). the 2.6.16kernel fixes it i guess.
Hemant
thanx madhukar...

i tried vanilla 2.6.16 kernel and i will try patching the kernel...with r6 patch.
However..i would love your .config file...you can post it here..

With Ubuntu....i am having real fun..it wont see my CD Drive itself...anyway..whatever the hoopla surrounding Ubuntu may be, i dont like that distro...
whowhywhat
hi hemant,
you would not only need the rc6 version of linux kernel 2.6.16. i feel it would be necessary to apply the other patch (the link which i gave on my previous post)- the ck1 patch. how do i post the .config file here? i dont have any webspace. i will mail it to you.
i use kde .. and i like kubuntu a lot. i feel a distro like ubuntu is necessary to make linux popular. i am partial to debian and distros based on debian. smile.gif .. but thats choice.
a . config file in text pated on the forum would be messy. there should be a way to host .config files.
regards,
madhukar

ps - i have mailed you the .config file
Hemant
cool..i will hack around tonight..and see if it works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.