Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: multi volume tar bundles?
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
embirath
Hi there

I regularly have to create tar-bundles, each of which can only be 30Mb or smaller. The total size of all my files may be 90-150Mb.

If I wanted to create a single tarbundle of all the files, it'd be easy:
> tar cvf mytar.tar *

Instead I have to type in:
> tar cvf bundle1.tar file1 file2...file21
> tar cvf bundle2.tar file22 file23...
> tar cvf bundle3.tar ...
ie, I have to type in each file name separately. This is a pain. Since I do this regularly, I would LOVE to find a way to create these tarbundles automatically, where each tar bundle is only 30Mb or smaller. According to the "tar" manual, there is something called "mulit-volume tar bundle". This sounds like it might be what I'm looking for?? But I can't figure out how to use this option.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Emma
michaelk
Not sure why tar cvf mytar.tar * does not work.

You can use multi-volume but I do not think it is automatic.
http://www.cgi-interactive-uk.com/splittin...arge_files.html

Another method that may work would be to create one big tar file and then use the split command to divide into 30mb bundles. You would then use the cat command to reconstruct the entire file.
michaelk
Another suggestion would to try dar.
http://dar.linux.free.fr/
embirath
Thank you for your help! smile.gif

The command itself: "tar cvf mytar.tar * " does work, but I then have to upload the tar-bundles to a website which can only handle 30Mb at a time... This is why I have to split them up. Then, the "untarring" is done automatically, so I don't know if "dar" would work. (Don't know if this website would recognize "dar-bundles".) But the article you sent me helps a great deal. I should be able to get it to work now.

Thanks!
Emma
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.