Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mandriva 2006 Install issue
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
jrlinux
I have an older Dell Desktop 2.0 GHZ with 750 MB Ram currently running 2 - 40GB hard drives. One has WinXP alone and the second hard drive has both Suse 10.0 and Linspire 5.0. The system was working well with a healthy tri-boot setup via Grub until I decided to try out Mandriva 2006 OCE. I chose during the install to resize my WinXP partition and place Mandriva on the same HDD but a different partition. Now after the install I only have access to either Mandriva or WinXP there are no choices to boot Suse or Linspire and it appears that the second hard drive is not seen. Also, the Desktop for Mandriva does not come up - at the end of the textlines during bootup it asks for a local host login and a password. I put in my user login and password but the boot process never continues. It seems to recognize my login name and passport but a line of text appears but the boot process into the desktop never happens. I tried both my local user login and the root info and with the root info it states incorrect login. Help!
DS2K3
Try running "startx" to start the GUI. It will either give you an error message, tell you that starx is nt a command (meaning that X isnt installed) or the GUI will start.

If it works, then you can configure it to auto-start using the mandriva control centre. IMO, not being able to boot Linspire isnt a bad thig, but you should be able to add it to the list using the tool in (again) the control centre.

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.