Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not quite linux from scratch
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
ender81x
Hello all... I am somewhat competent in linux. I used to use Slackware years ago, and I have run Fedora, Mandrake/Mandriva, Kubuntu, and a few others... I am not quite at the point where I want to build a linux from scratch system (although I did check out linuxfromscratch.org and it would be a fun project)... I just don't think I'm ready to compile everything from the ground up quite yet...
What I am looking for is a distro that isn't so tied into a graphical desktop. I would like to have a good starting point (some or most hardware working after install, and all the tools to build software). And from there, I am looking to compile my own X, KDE, and all the other applications I'll want. The problem I have is that most distros have a desktop by default and just choosing not to install it doesn't seem to remove it altogether so it has been hard for me to get a clean starting point. Any recommendations?
as2100
It honestly sounds like Debian or Gentoo is what you would be interested in.

Those both have extremely barebone installs, and easy access to all the build tools you could want.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.