Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keyboard/mouse For Linux
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Ripples
Question from a Newbie:

I am in the process of putting together my first linux-based system. How do I choose a compatible wireless keyboard/mouse? Compatibility with other operating systems is always clearly stated, but I haven't seen anything that says "Linux compatible." Is it much simpler than I think it is?

Thanks! smile.gif
Corey
As far as i know, the majority of wireless keyboards/mice are usb, if this is the case, then you shouldn't have any trouble. Logitech is usually a good name to go with. I currently have a logitech cordless optical usb mouse, and after i installed linux, i installed a package called "hotplug". Usb devices work as soon as you plug them in (provided that your programs are looking in the right place for the mouse). If you plan on installing a distribution like Redhat, Mandrake or SuSE, you won't really have to fool around with configuration that much because they pretty much do that for you. If you plan on using more down-and-dirty distros, then you will have to learn where these device files are.

For the average new user, you can probably just plug in the stuff, and boot up the installation and away you go.
Ripples
Thanks for the advice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.