Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Timer Installation Problem
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Christian><>
Greetings! I am a noob. I have been reading about linux for the lst few months and this weekend, I thought I was finally ready to take the plunge. I backed up all my data and downloaded the iso and install files I thought I would need and made an install CD with the latest Ark Linux iso (ArkLinux-2005.2).

I started the installation and everything seems ok. I got to where I choose my language and then select the install type. The one I pick is the one that says "System Installation"--it replaces everything on all partitions. It's supposed to even repartition and reformat everything for you... Anyway, as soon as I click the install, I get an error:

INSTALLER EXITING

INSTALLER FAILED (EXIT ON SIGNAL 0)

Then it ejects the CD and reboots.

I checked the MD5sum on the iso and it matched. I thought maybe there was a problem with my CD (I used Nero to make it). So I downloaded the latest 2006 arklinux, checked the sums, and made a new CD. Started the install, and I ran into the exact same problem!

Is it my hardware? I have:

Pentium 4 1.9 GHz 32-bit Socket 478 CPU
2 GB PC 2100 SD RAM
Tyan Trinity 510 - S2266 Motherboard w/ D850GB 400 MHz Bus chipset
Western Digital 40 GB IDE Hard Drive
Seagate 80 GB IDE Hard Drive
Soundblaster Audigy Soundcard
nVidia GeForce3 TI 200 AGP 4X Video Card
Christian><>
Please help!

I did some searching and discovered that a few others had this problem with the older versions of this install when they chose a language other than english. but i am choosing english...

my wife is getting on to me

if i dont get this up and running soon, ill have to go back to winders--NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo
Christian><>
biggrin.gif Wooo hooooo!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Someone told me that they had heard of a weird conflict in the installation with both a WD and a Seagate HD installed at the same time. So I unplugged one of the drives and it worked!

I'm in business!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.