Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about upgrading w98 w/ dual boot
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
felix
Hi, wonder if anyone can advise me, I have a newer machine here with win98 on 1st HD, SuSE on 2nd HD. I'd like to upgrade from win98 to winXP, but I'm not sure if doing so will muck with the MBR? I don't want to interfere with access to the machine's only real OS wink.gif

I'm not sure if I can re-install GRUB after doing the windows UG, assuming things get messed up?

A second alternative that would suit me just fine would be pulling the C drive from the system altogether, leaving only Linux behind. But...again, I'm too much of a newbie to know how to make that drive bootable while retaining all my existing software etc. It's probably not partitioned properly for this approach to work?

Thanks for any advise...

Felix
Corey
I'm not 100% sure, but, if you are going to upgrade Windows98 to say Windows 2000 or XP, you should make the assumption that it will mess with your MBR. To prepare for this, you should create a bootdisk so you are able to boot into your system after you upgrade windows 98, and re-initialize SuSE. There are several ways to do this, one being issuing the command "mkbootdisk", and it should work. As for re-initializing grub after the install, you will have to read the documentation because I am only familier with LILO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.