Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Debian/XFree86Config fails with Intel 865GV
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
no_spam_here
The following error is displayed after "successfully" writing an XFree86Config file: NB. using i810 chipset as recommended as substitute for [new] i865GV.

Hello,

Hope you can help with the following:

Following a new installation of Debian 3.1r1 on my new [ish] Dell Dimension 1100, the Intel 865GV onboard graphics don't seem to be supported by xf86, or xf86 might not have been installed properly (Net install, reported successful installation though).

After running XFree86Config, to write config file successfully, the following error messages from startx are displayed:

-----------------------
#startx
Using authorisation file /root/Xauthorisation
Writing authorisation file /root/Xauthorisation
Using authorisation file /root/Xauthorisation
Writing authorisation file /root/Xauthorisation

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: /usr/bin/X11/X: No Such File or Directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: exec: /usr/bin/X11/X: cannot execute: No Such File or Directory
giving up.
Xinit: No Such File or Directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
Xinit: No Such Procedure (errno 3): server error
-----------------------

Any help/suggestions much appreciated.
Many thanks.
DS2K3
Can you post the contents of the config file? (from /etc/X11/)

D
no_spam_here
Fixed it. Reinstalled Deb3.1r1 from CD ISO rather than net install - think some packages might have been missed, can "no such directory" errors (above) be explained another way?

1. BIOS needed tweaking... on-board graphics was set to 1mb, not 8mb...

2. XF86Config-4 had wrong device settings (trigger-happy-enter-key-ism?) - rewrote manually.

Thanks.
G.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.