Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding more space to a old SCSI HDD
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
nx-3000
Hi there,

I wonder can anyone help me with this problem. Currently I'm running on Linux RedHat6.3 and have 2 SCSI HDD.

1 - SCSI is the OS.
2 - SCSI is the Database.

my 2nd SCSI HDD is running out of space, so I wonder how to add more space to it. Can I just get another new SCSI HDD and mount it on the 2nd SCSI to add more space? or Get a bigger SCSI HDD and copy the 2nd to the new one?
Robert83
Hi,

if you can afford it get a bigger SCSI drive.

Check how your 2nd SCSI drive is mounted in /etc/fstab

fdisk -l , to see what partitions it has (if it has more then one)

and the names of the drives.

See this to refresh memory http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTuto...torialSCSI.html

format the new drive with fdisk /dev/sgc (if it's id2 , always check it with fdisk -l to see for sure).
create the primary partition, then select write mbr to disk.

then all you do is

mkfs.ext3 -j /dev/sgc1

once done , create a temporary directory on your / , like

mkdir /newdrive
mount /dev/sgc1 /newdrive

then you copy all old data from /data (or whatever the name of old scsi is) to /newdrive

cp -a /data /newdrive

once done, check /etc/fstab again to see how the old scsi disk is mounted, comment the line
and add a new line for the new disk and mount it to the same directory.

shutdown computer, remove old scsi data disk , make sure new scsi data disk id is same as old data disk's id , then turn on computer, if all goes well, it will boot up. And you have a bigger hard drive.

Sincerely
Robert B
michaelk
AFAIK the drives will be 'IDed' when they are scanned. Typically the first drive found on the first SCSI controller will be /dev/sda, next will be /sdb etc. independent of the SCSI ID. You can not add space by mounting the drives to the same mount point. You can mount the new drive as a subdirectory of the database mount point but I do not think this will help you.

Copying the current database to a larger hard drive would be the quickest and simplest. If you think your going to need additional space in the future there are other methods that would be better. BTW what kernel version are you currently running?
Robert83
@michaelk

I never said that you can add more space to the drive by mounting the new drive, I've only said that he should mount the new drive, and copy data from old drive to new drive, remove old drive , mount new drive the same way he mounted the old drive before. ( short example. 20GB SCSI disk content is copied to 40GB SCSI disk, then 20GB disk is removed, and 40GB disk is mounted the same way the 20GB disk was mounted).

About the id, I'm not 100% sure, haven't done this in a while.

Sincerely
Robert B
michaelk
Robert83,
My only comment on your reply was the SCSI device ID part. I know you never said that you could add space. I was trying to answer nx-3000 question:
Can I just get another new SCSI HDD and mount it on the 2nd SCSI to add more space?

I also agree with you that the best solution would be to add a bigger hard drive and copy the data.
nx-3000
Thanks for the reply, Guys..

So, what I can see is that there is no way to do so, Unless buying a bigger one than the old one. *sighs*

So far at this time, SCSI HDD biggest is 147GB, and what happen in the future whereby if i m using SCSI HDD 147 that get fill up and how would i going to add more? would they going to make more bigger than 147GB in the future?

How about if i use RAID 0? and in the future I can keep adding new SCSI HDD to it, if my database bigger and bigger.

From what i know is that my Linux server is RedHat 6.3. I don't what version is the kennel.
michaelk
raid 0 or logical volume management (LVM) would work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.