Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommended wireless USB LAN adapter?
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
fredriley
Hi

I recently bought a wireless USB LAN adapter to work with my wireless ADSL router at home. Of course it works fine in Windoze on account of all the drivers being on the CD with a cosy installation wizard, but the Linux drivers are supplied only as C source code with a readme in broken English giving detailed instructions on editing the makefile according to the kernel version, running make, running iwconfig, and more, and I've neither the patience nor the expertise to do this, despite having administered some Linux boxes in my time - I'm of the RPM generation ;-)

So, can anyone recommend any products in this category which will definitely work with Linux, and which I can install in the Gnome Control Centre without messing around with editing makefiles and the rest of it?

As a supplementary question, how do you find the kernel version? I've looked in my Unix and Linux books and can't see any obvious command to show the version. TIA.

Cheers

Fred
george43
uname -r

will give you the current version, I believe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.