Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FreeBSD and Linux
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Erik_the_Red
What are the major differences between FreeBSD and Linux? Also, is FreeBSD significantly more complicated than Linux?

Thanks in advance.
digitalturbulence
FreeBSD has another kernel than Linux, very difficult to say which kernel are better. I think Linux is currently better in performance than FreeBSD, but it's possible that FreeBSD is more secure. I'm not very sure in what I'm saying (it could finished as big troll).

FreeBSD use another license, the base programs are not GNU, but you can install the GNU fileutils etc.
Corey
I have only seen on the surface, small differences between FreeBSD and Linux. Besides the licenseing, it seems that FreeBSD is more geared towards server platforms. It's not really meant for a desktop computer. While Linux is an excellent server operating system, it is better for the desktop, and it seems to be more widely supported.

Some would argue that the BSD kernel is more stable and mature then the Linux kernel. I have no idea, so I won't comment on it. The best thing, is for you to try it for yourself. All the BSD crowd seem to rave about this "Ports" system that FreeBSD has, but I honestly don't see how it beats APT for Debian.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.