Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setting up an internet server behind a router
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Smeep
Are there any tuts on how to set up an internet server behind a linksys router anywhere? I've read a few things about getting it done, but all I seem to be able to find is windows based help.

I am running Mandrake linux 10.1 and I have a linksys router.

What would be the best way to tackle this problem?

Obviously, I need it so that if someone types in my domain, it goes to my router, and then automatically to the right client behind that, and then the server(client) send back the correct information, as I intend to host 3 websites.

Please, any information is greatly appreciated, and I thank you for your time and patience with my inablity.
michaelk
Do you have a static or dynamic IP address for your internet connection?
Does your ISP allow a webserver? (I assume this is a basic home broadband network connection)
Are you going to have multiple servers or multiple hosts on the same PC?

The basic router setup is to foward port 80 (default webserver port) and TCP to the IP address of the server. If you have multiple PCs use a static IP address.

Have you googled for info?
Smeep
Google is always my first stop - then when I get stuck about it, I ask for help, then I continue to google some more, in case I can find the answer. I found out about portforwarding 80 etc - and I'm researching in to my ISP's ability to let me host.

But that's on hold for now, because i have a new problem that I can't find the answer too :S
michaelk
But that's on hold for now, because i have a new problem that I can't find the answer too :S

Ask away
Smeep
I did, in a seperate thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.