Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Xforwarding without a running xserver
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
Jim
Hey, so I have this remote log in box right, that sits in a rack in a back room, its used as a remote log in machine to work from. We want to have xforwarding for users who log in, but it would be nice to not have a xserver runninng in the traditional sense seeing as how there is no monitor plugged into it.

Anybody have any idea how to do this, or even if it can be done? And if so... some pointers?

Note: Its a Gentoo machine... not that that should really effect the way xorg runs.
Corey
Do you mean having the monitor-less computer sitting in a closet somewhere run an X-server so that a "client" can log in remotely graphically and run all X-based programs from the server?

It's pretty simple to set up if that's what you're going for. There are a couple of config files that you need to edit, and that's about it.

If that's what you're looking to do, let me know smile.gif
Jim
ya I got it figured out, it was pretty easy.

Basically, we just didn't want to have X generating a display on the local machine because thats a waste of RAM, but we wanted people who were logging in to be able to run programs like emacs or what ever graphically. It was actually really easy, pretty much you just install all the right libraries, and turn X11Forwarding on, thats about it. Thanks though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.