Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help with linux password
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
frog4tea
My husband set up Linux Red Hat on my computer and has since passed away and I have no idea what the password is ... can you help as I would really like to use Linux but without the password I can't seem to do anything.... wink.gif
Jim
if you knew the root password you can log in as root and change any user passwords with the command

passwd username

As I am going to guess you don't know the root password, lets go through resetting that. I hope you are using GRUB as your bootloader, if you aren't, come back and I will have to re-write these intructions for using LILO.

Turn the computer on, when the GRUB boot options come up, highligh the linux install you normally boot into and press e On the line that has the "kernel=" option on it add this word to the end single Then boot the edited option. This will boot you into single user mode. Ounce it has booted you will be at a command promt. Run the command passwd with no options, it will promt you for your new password, this is the password for your root user, this is the highest level user on the computer and is used for setup and administration and what not, not for every day use. Ounce you have done that you can reset any user passwords you need to reset by adding the users name after passwd. Entere passwords for them. After that, reboot the computer (reboot), and log in.

Good luck, and enjoy learning linux.
Hemant
"passed away" - sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.