Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: partitions required and their sizes??
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
andrewf8
Soon I will install Fedora Core 4 onto a Dell P3 with 512MB of RAM. The 10GB will be empty (bye-bye Windows!).
This is a home/business system used primarily for internet (browsing and email) as well as light word processing/spreadsheets/databases/music.
But it will have multiple users.
I am not an applications fiend, so there will not be numerous; primarily will use Firefox, Open Office and Opera.
Might try to install WINE so I can stop using a separate Win box for MYOB (accounting software).

I have read several sources, including the HOWTO, advising several partitions be set up.
However there are variations in advice I would like to clarify:

One of the sources advised /tmp have a separate partition.
Is a separate partition for /tmp necessary and, if so, why?

One of the sources advised /data have a separate partition.
Is a separate partition for /data necessary and, if so, why?
I thought /data is just user data. Couldn't user data just be in /home? Or would one separate /data out so /home is data accessible to a single and /data is data meant to be accessible to all?

Based upon 'common' advice, the partitions I intend to set up are
/
/boot
/home
/usr
/usr/local
/var and
swap.

What is the recommended size of these partitions (and /var or /data, if appropriate)?

Thanks.

-end-
DS2K3
For a desktop machine, I personnally would have /, /home and swap. If the box isn't a server thats processing print queues, email etc, tehen having a seperate /var partition probably isnt that useful, unless you are worried about log files eating up your disk space (properly configured logging shouldnt do that though).

I have never heard of or seen a /data partition until now...
michaelk
A seperate partiton for data could be for sharing between OSs of a dual boot PC since the easist filesysetm for sharing is FAT32.

I also agree that that many seperate partitions for a home desktop system are not neede. Most distros setup a default configuration of /, /boot and swap but I would add aseperate /home partition.
Jim
The only two "required" partitions are / and swap. After that is up to you. I like to keep a seperate partition for /home because then I can reinstall the OS or even change OS with out having to worry about my personal data.

As for size, 8GBs is usually big enough for a root partition as long as home is elseware (now adays, with music and movies your home folder is probably gonna be the largest there is). As for swap, the old rule of thumb was twice your ram, but thats fading with larger ram and more effective programs. For you, I would go 512MB and no larger than 1GB.

If the os is going to be just linux, then you don't need a drop partition, if its going to be a dual boot windows/linux machine, I highly recomend a VFAT drop partition for moving data around.

In general, your partition scheme is way to intense, I would never fraction it that hard core unless it was a mission critical server.

The only other thing I would consider, it /boot just for protection. What you will commonly do if you put boot on a different partition is not mount it durring boot, as its not needed once the system is up and running, this will keep rouge programs for accedentally editing your kernel with out you knowing about it.

Hope that was helpful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.