Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: major Install problem
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
stabface
OK, I have been trying to install Linux on my PC now for some time and i have run into one major inssue none of the distro's will get past unconpressing the kernal. this is what happens

put install disk in driver
start computer
boots to disk, shows linux front screen. hit enter
starts to install few lines of test computer restarts.
startover.

i have tried all the boot types, no graphic no pic,

However i did get vector linux to install the system but i can't get it to boot up after install.

Compaq Presario SR1010NX

PNY geforce 5500 128 pci graphics card,
1024 ram

distros i tried Mandriva, Ubutu,Linspire, linspire live, and konpix

any help would help a lot,
docmur
This almost seems to point to a hardware problem. Have you got your hardware checked at.
stabface
windows runs just fine on same machine
docmur
hmmm okay well can you give any more detail on what happens after the boot cd is installed for linux
stabface
well with all distros pretty much nothing happens the computer just simply restarts.

however vector will go through the install setup and start to load up but then it stalls and won't load up something about modprob.old i don't have vector installed now. but when i did i tried emegerncy boot and made it not load any modules and still nothing happened. i can't figure this out.
docmur
hmmm well then I really don't know sorry
DS2K3
The computer just hard reboots (just shuts off)? If so, it is almost certainly a hardware issue. It might be that Linux is trying to use CPU frequency scaling or another power-intensive feature, which is tipping your PSU over the edge (Linux is currently more advanced than Windows, so it could well be doing things that Windows doesnt). Is the computer still in it's OEM condition (not modified since purchase) or has it been upgraded?

Try resetting the BIOS settings too (or loading failsafe ones)

D
docmur
I never new Linux scaled the CPU. Good to know, I know this isn't my topic but how much scaling would happen to a 3000+ 64 AMD 90 nano. I only run a 350 W PSU on it, is that to small
DS2K3
CPU Frequency scaling has to be enabled in the kernel, so I guess it varies between distributions. I don't know much about it though.
D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.