Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new to linux have a few questions
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
axr231
hey all, im new to linux.. new meaning i really dont know anything about it. i have just seen people using it and heard friends talking about it so i got interested. i recently installed mandrake 9.1.

could anyone tell me how to change the mouse sensitivity? i looked in the control manager and all it had was an option to determine what kind of mouse i was using. i have an intellimouse explorer and the mouse sensitivity was too slow for my liking. also, i cant get the two side buttons to work either.. it seems that there was no option for that.

also, i think there is something wrong with the way my monitor is configured. i have a geforce 3 card and am using a dell 15 in flat panel. but there is the one column strip on the left side of my screen that is kindof blurry. when the log out screen comes up, the strip can be seem more definitely.. its alot darker around there... is there a way to get rid of that?

thanks
sooty
Hello.

I'm quite new to Linux myself but I might be able to add a pointer regarding your nVidia problem.

I'm running Mandrake 9.0, using a nVidia GeForce2 GTS card.

When I installed Mandrake, 3D acceleration wasn't available and there were a few other problems
(chiefly, the display was off-centre!).

I had to obtain a Linux driver from nVidia and compile it. Then all was OK - 3D acceleration works and
display fine.

nVidia seem to be quite kind to Linux - check their website out and see about drivers....

The whole compilation thing is all new to me and quite daunting, but I did manage to get my video
working properly, so it wasn't toooo bad!!!

Hope this helps - I'm a bit of a newbie myself, so sorry if it doesn't!

Take care.
sooty
Hello.

I'm quite new to Linux myself but I might be able to add a pointer regarding your nVidia problem.

I'm running Mandrake 9.0, using a nVidia GeForce2 GTS card.

When I installed Mandrake, 3D acceleration wasn't available and there were a few other problems
(chiefly, the display was off-centre!).

I had to obtain a Linux driver from nVidia and compile it. Then all was OK - 3D acceleration works and
display fine.

nVidia seem to be quite kind to Linux - check their website out and see about drivers....

The whole compilation thing is all new to me and quite daunting, but I did manage to get my video
working properly, so it wasn't toooo bad!!!

Hope this helps - I'm a bit of a newbie myself, so sorry if it doesn't!

Take care.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.