Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is terminal?
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
jonyringo
Ok Linux people, no matter how hard I try, this OS doesn't like me. First- what is terminal? How do I get to it? It is my understanding that I need to go there to run everything. Is this like a DOS prompt? Installed Fedora 4, but this is nothing like Windows. Any online guides for very beginners.
michaelk
Yes, linux is compeletely different then windows. A console terminal is similar to the DOS command line but many times more powerfull. In the linux world it is known as a shell and the default for most distributions is called bash or borne again shell. It is not necessary to run everything from the command line but it helps to know the basics.

An introduction to linux:
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

I do not use FC4 on a daily basis so my memory is fuzzy but select the system from the pull down menu and then click on xterm.
louisgag
If you want to start using Linux, I would suggest you start with some simple distribution, like Ubuntu...
Jim
I have to diagree with the above coment. First off, Ubuntu isn't that dramatically less "different from windows" then Fedora, or Mandriva, or SuSE, or any of the other friendlier distros. Personally I recomend Mandriva for starters, it does a good job of being easy to use, powerful, and teaching you linux, not sheilding you from it like Ubuntu.

If you really want to learn Linux for the purpose of knowing how to use Linux in enterprise deployment, skip that and go to something more powerful, like SuSE, Debian, Gentoo, or Fedora. Specifically SuSE, Debian, and Fedora since these are closely related to the distros most commonly used in enterprise level deployment. Not to leave Gentoo in the dust, I love it, and use it daily, but its not commonly used in enterprise, and it has its own quorks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.