Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please help this newbie..
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
NoSchwag
My boss want's me to get redhat version 3 onto a dell poweredge sc430. So.. I call dell and find out that there are no hard drive drivers for this version and that I should install version 4. I install redhat 3 on my xp machine so that I can download and burn version 4, and I ended up reformatting it. sad.gif

Needless to say this is all very new to me and I feel like I am using the computer for the first time. I did manage to get on the internet, and install VNC by myself, but anything beyond that is really frustrating me.

Now I am trying to burn the 4 iso files I downloaded.

How do I go about buring these, and making them bootable so that I can install version 4 on the dell??

Thank you in advance for helping me, I really appreciate it.
DS2K3
What exactly do you mean Red Hat 3/4? Red Hat enterprise Linux? The actual "Red Hat 3" is very old now, and I doubt you mean that.

D
NoSchwag
See how new I am, sorry.

It is redhat es version 3. enterprise. In order for it to work (hopefull) on the dell sc430 I need to boot the dell with the ES version 4.
DS2K3
Most CD burning programs have an option to "burn a CD image". Dont just burn the image to the CD as you would burn a file - Since the ISO is basically a "picture" of a CD.

The CDs that get brunt from the image should be bootable - But you might need to change the BIOS settings to enable boting from CD

D
NoSchwag
So basically I asm buring an ISO like I would burn an ISO from a windows machine, only on the linux machine.

I tried burning the iso from a windows machine and I got an "invalid ISO" error message.

Are there any free or easy to use burning apps for linux redhat version 3 x86 that you could reccomend?
DS2K3
"k3b" part of the KDE suite, is an excellent program.

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.