Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cable Internet Question
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
etshooter
I have ATTBI as my isp. Usually late weekend nights, my modem seems to stop responding and i unplug it for a few seconds then it will work again for awhile. I have done a search from their help pages, but all they say for linux is that certain distros may have default setting of 16 "hops" to the DHCP server, and it may needs to be set to higher than 20 "hops". First, what are they talking about? Second, how do I change this setting in Mandrake 9.1?
Corey
Holy shit, that's nuts. I'm not completly sure, but I think "hops" is the amount of other computers (read: routers) that your informatino passes through before it hits a target. You can find the hops from your machine to any other on the internet by using the utility "traceroute".

I have searched everywhere, including checking my own dhcp configuration files, and I can't find anywhere where you can change the default number of hops to dhcp server. Maybe you can call AT&T tech support and ask them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.