Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prob After Kernel Compiling & Install!
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
sanzeeb
I'm a novice Linux user.i run on RedHat 9 with kernel 2.4... but
today i have tried to compile my kernel with 2.6.14.2 but the fact is im
able to compile & install it but cant load any module. I think there are some problem in "rc.sysinit" file or some init file but cant fix it.. also
tried to find solution in net but cant get anything easier.after installing kernel-2.6 the error message is "Kernel panic not syncing : No init found. Try passing init = option to kernel ". NEED HELP !!! unsure.gif
Jim
You can't load any modules because you probably didn't update the modules to work with 2.6. Most modules that were compiled to load on 2.4 will not load on 2.6.

My advice is unless you are really attached to Red Hat 9 for some good reason I would get a new distro. Red Hat 9 is no longer supported, so ya. Either switch over to a more current version of Fedora or get a different distro all togeather.

If you really want to fix this distro you are going to have to update all the modules to run 2.6, which is going to be hard since Red Hat was enver supported during the 2.6 kernel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.