Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fdisking Logical Drive?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
xevanx
hey guys, i have a bad mandriva logical drive partition and i was wondering if any of you knew how to delete that using knoppix fdisk?

i tried deleting the logical drives using windows in the admin disk management but it would not let me....

all i want to do is wipe out the old mandriva partition so i can run a windows xp/ ubuntu system. smile.gif

i have tried using the mandriva recovery disk and it does not see the mandriva allready installed on my computer so yeah its a bummer....

thank you so very much, i hope you can help me.

ps if you can think of a better way please tell me, i'v been google searching for literally hours wink.gif
Jim
fdisk /dev/hda will open fdisk for the drive hda

p prints the partitions

d deletes a partition.

In general dude, man is your friend. Run man fdisk and that will answer all your questions.
xevanx
yeah iv read the fdisk man, but all it shows when i press "P" while in fdisk is
CODE
Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *           1        7270    58396243+  44  Unknown
/dev/hda2            7271        7296      208845   88  Linux plaintext

and shows nothing of my 15GB logical drive.... neither does the mandriva rescue system. So far the only thing that see's the 15GB logical partition is windows disk managment, but it will not let me delete it from there sad.gif

and the problem with my mandriva in the first place is this..
CODE
mounting root file file systems with flags noatime
mount:error 6 mounting ext3
well, retrying without the optional flags
mount: error 6 mountng ext3
well, retrying without anf flags
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot (/sysroot,/sybroot/initrd) failed :2
unmount /initrd/sys failed:2
unmount /initrd/ proc failed:2
initrd finished
freeing unused kernal memory: 264 freed

kernal panic- not syncing:no init found. try passng init = option to kernal

maybe thats why my knoppix and mandriva rescue cannot see it, but i really dont know.

thank you
Jim
Is your 15GB drive a different drive, like maybe hdb?

If you just run fdisk -l it will list out everything. Then you can figure out what drive your partition is on that you need to work with.
xevanx
This is what's displayed when i enter fdisk -l
CODE
Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1        7270    58396243+  44  Unknown
/dev/hda2            7271        7296      208845   88  Linux plaintext

so yeah basically the same thing i had before, but thanks for the tip wink.gif

dude, this is extremely frustrating. I really appreciate the help you are giving me Jim. smile.gif any more ideas? like should i maybe try to do a windows reinstall? would that wipe the hard drive?
Jim
Best I can tell, you don't have a single partition on that drive. You either have one partition thats almost the whole drive that has a file system that isn't recoginzed (don't know what that would be unless you're using a really old version of fdisk wich I doubt you are) or you have one currupted partition.

Do you have something booting off this drive? Is there data you need to get off? Otherwise, I would just delete both partitions and start over.

When doing dual boot windows/linux its best to install Windows first. Just a tip.
xevanx
The history- When i bought this laptop around 4 months ago it came with widows xp. Naturally i wanted to run linux on it because well i dont like windows tongue.gif While trying to find the right distro mandriva was claiming that they had the best laptop support as far as wirless and such so i got it. Installation was a breeze, it did everything automaticly, all i had to do is select languages and how much room i wanted to keep for my windows (i selected 35gb) ( the only reason i want windows is for gaming)( i have a 60 gb hard drive). When finished i started up my computer and it came up with a fancy lilo screen that had four selections, "Linux", "windows", "Linux non-fb", and "failsafe". i chose linux and it started up fine, until i couldnt get it to connect to the internet, all i did is mess with internet settings. i became frustrated and shut it down. the next day i went to try again, i selected, "linux" and it proceeded to the screen with a loading bar, the bar never loaded than it came up with
CODE
mounting root file file systems with flags noatime
mount:error 6 mounting ext3
well, retrying without the optional flags
mount: error 6 mountng ext3
well, retrying without anf flags
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot (/sysroot,/sybroot/initrd) failed :2
unmount /initrd/sys failed:2
unmount /initrd/ proc failed:2
initrd finished
freeing unused kernal memory: 264 freed

kernal panic- not syncing:no init found. try passng init = option to kernal

i tried all the selections at the Lilo screen and the only one that still works is Windows....

here is a picture showing all the partitions through windows computer managment

thats when i came here in seek of help, i went ahead and picked up a copy of the new knoppix 4.0.2. and thats what im fdisking with in the root super user mode shell.

but yeah, i wrote this to tell you the whole situation to help you better understand.
Jim
So I don't know what version of fdisk knoppix has on it but it apparently sucks.

Looking at the windows screen shot you can clearly see the windows partition, then what its probably your / partitions, followed by boot, followed by home, and last swap.

My guess is that your lilo config file got effed. You could probably salvage the mandriva install if you could figure out the correct option to add to your init.

Otherwise, go ahead and pick another distro and install it. It should be able to see the windows partitoins and the other space and figure it all out. Or, reinstall Mandriva.

Have you tried just sticking the Ubunutu install disk in and seeing what happens? You should be able to tell it to take over the 5.85, 1.07, 14.59 GB partition and the swap space. See what happens.
xevanx
i put in the intall cd for mandriva and when it got to the point where i could choose the drive to install it on all it showed was a 60GB of disk... it didnt show any partitions

so should i just go through with the intallation anyways and see what happens?
Jim
If you do you will loose your windows install and any data you have, if you're willing to do that, fine, but if not, you need to figure something out.
xevanx
I think i may have found the problem.. well its my hypothesis. In the picture that i posted of the windows disk manager in shows the three linux partitions and there is a green box around the three, and the key that i cropped out on accident says its an "extended partition". i think that may have somthing to do with it so im looking for a program that will remove extended partitions, if anyone knows of any please tell me biggrin.gif or tell me what you think of my observation tongue.gif
Jim
Well removing extended partitions is the same as removing logical ones. Fdisk should be able to do all of that.

CODE
Disk /dev/hdb: 41.1 GB, 41110142976 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5310 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes

/dev/hdb1               1           5       37768+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb2               6          72      506520   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hdb3              73         848     5866560   83  Linux
/dev/hdb4             849        5310    33732720    5  Extended
/dev/hdb5             849        4078    24418768+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb6   *        4079        5310     9313888+  83  Linux

Thats a fdisk of one of my linus drives. hdb1-3 are logical partitions. hdb4 is the extended partition that hdb5 and hdb6 sit on. If I deleted hdb4 hdb5 and hdb6 would go away with it.

I think your problem runs deaper than that. Your partition table is currupt or something. I still think your best option is to put in an Ubuntu install and see what happens.
xevanx
Oh ok, i know next to nothing of these things tongue.gif im gonna go ahead and download ubuntu Install cd right now, i made a ShipIt order and was hoping to get this whole thing resolved before i got them but oh well. So you think the ubuntu might actually recognize what knoppix and mandriva didnt?

and does linuxhelp have an IRC channel?

probably tomarrow i will attemp the ubuntu installation and tell you the results biggrin.gif
Jim
Something is wrong with the way knoppix is reading the partition table, I don't know if Ubuntu is going to fall to the same trouble.

We do have an irc channel, but its never maned, so..... Good luck on the Ubuntu install, make sure you have any important data from you Windows backed up and if you aren't sure what your deleting, come back and ask.
xevanx
Well, I started up the ol' ubuntu istallation disk and got to the point where i chose the partitons yet again it did not see the three logical drives sad.gif sad.gif dangit! so i guess ill back up some of my personal info on windows and than do a windows clean install and hopfully that has an option where i can delete the whole hdd and install windows....... sound good?
xevanx
well i did it. i formmated the whole hdd and it erased those pesky logical drives biggrin.gif now im gonna isntall ubuntu and be happy. thank you for all the help Jim.
Jim
As happy as one can be with Ubuntu, but since I seem to be one of the only people in the world who don't like Ubuntu I suppose I should just keep my yap shut.
xevanx
well its been said to be a stable sytem and after this whole deal thats all i want smile.gif could you maybe suggest a distro i should use? i mean
i would appreciate your professional opinion. i am a complete newbie at linux so nothing too complicated and definently not mandriva.
THANKS, xevanx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.