Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hdparm
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
jimufa
Hi Guys,
I was hoping some might be able to show me how to set the Hard Drive spin down (or standby) time, so the drive is not spinning 24/7. I'm having trouble working out what the command to do this correctly is.

The other problem is then How do I get Linux to remeber these settings, someone told me to put the commands in the rc.local file, but I'm not sure that's the right place, I thought it needed to be done earlier in the boot process.

Any Help would be appreciated.
regards
Milton
Jim
I am not a pro with hdparm so I really can't help you with that. But as far as running the commands, there are a couple ways to do it. It kind of depends on what you need to do.

If the command needs to be run ounce at boot you can do it a couple ways. You could write a nice neat bash script and add it to your default run level, that would run it durring boot. You also good put in rc.local, which would run it when you logged in.

If its a command that needs to be run multiple times on a regular basis, then you want to do a cron job. If you can get the command figured out, I can help you set it up correctly.

Explain in more detail what it is you want to do, and what distro are you running.

One more thing, man is your friend. man hdparm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.