Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Segmentation Fault
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
bkant
Let me just start off by saying I am a newbie to Linux. This may help in that I may be doing something simple wrong. I have just installed SuSE 10.0, and I am now trying to add the programs for which I switched to Linux. However, I am having some trouble installing one of the programs. I downloaded the program as a "tar" file. After downloading I use the command "tar -xvf <filename.tar>" to expand this package. This seems to work fine. All the files are put in a folder in the current directory. This is were things get hairy. The instructions say to change directories to the folder that was created and run the "./setup" file. This is what results from doing this:

porsche:/tmp/starcd/STARCD_3.26 # ./setup
_XF86BigfontQueryFont: could not attach shm segment
xterm: Error 91, errno 12: Cannot allocate memory
Reason: Alloc: calloc() failed on rows

I have been reading on the internet about this error but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Ben
Jim
fluid dynamics huh? Well there seems to be an error where it can't find the font from X there it has some odd issue with allocating memory. Um, make sure you are downloading the correct version of the source code, then check and see if there is a gcc version conflict. You can tell what version of gcc you are running by running the command gcc -v
bkant
I ran the command you suggested. I am running:

gcc version 4.0.2 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux).

I don't know how to check the software to see what version it requires.

Something I did notice when I was searching for a Linux distibution some older versions of SuSE had been tested with the software, but SuSE 10.0 had not been tested. However I was told by a coworker that a newer version should work. The kernel version I am running is:

2.6.13-15-bigsmp

The software is for Linux 2.4. Could this be causing my problem?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.