Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Java Issues
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
DrAVeN
Ok I have Windows XP sad.gif and just installed Mandrake 10.1. I like Mandrake almost everything seems to work ok.
My issue is that 1) I cannot get Java to install right and 2) can't figure out irc. My biggest issue right now is Java.
I have installed Firefox ok but it says that it cannot install Java that I need to do it manually. Everytime I try to install it the way it says to on the website the console tells me that there is no /usr/Java directory and I cannot figure out for the life of me how to create it. When I try to create or modify a folder in the usr dir it says I don't have permission. I am stumped. I am getting into Linux but if I cannot get Java to work I am going to have to go back to Windows.

What am I doing wrong?
as2100
Sounds like you are trying to install the Java plugin for Firefox without actually having a JRE installed. First, you will want to install the JRE (which will include the Mozilla plugin you need to copy into your Firefox plugin library.)

Head over to http://java.sun.com and grab the nifty Java Runtime Environment (JRE) install script they offer.

Once that finishes the install, there is a plugin directory wherever you installed the JRE
example:
/opt/java/lib/plugins

Copy the (sorry, don't remember the exact name) mozilla plugin called something to the extent of "libmoz-plugin.so" into your Firefox plugin directory. Another example:
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins

Now you should have a working JRE and the Firefox plugin installed.
DrAVeN
This is the jre I am talking about. The problum is it won't install. This is the link for the instructions. http://java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml#rpm

I followed the instructions but I can't seem to get step 3.
Change to the directory in which you want to install. Type:
cd
For example, to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, Type:
cd /usr/java

there is no /usr/java directory and cannot get passed this point.
as2100
You just need to 'su' to root, and create that directory. You will probably want to move the install binary into /usr/java before executing it.
CODE
$ su
[enter your password here]
# mkdir /usr/java
# mv /path/to/jre-version.rpm.bin /usr/java/
# cd /usr/java
# chmod +x jre-version.rpm.bin
# ./jre-version.rpm.bin
DS2K3
You can run the .bin file anywhere - It will just extract an RPM to the same driectory. It's the RPM that handles the actual-installation, just double-click it and type your root password when prompted.

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.