Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Few Questions
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
thenewfallenangel
I'm a college student with a class in Linux (IS Major). Unfortunately, our professor gave us little hands-on time with the product (we're running RedHat). Now we have a hands-on test on Wednesday. I work full time, so getting to the lab is hard to do. I just need a little help on doing a few things which I know will be on the test. In Terminal mode, how do I:

1a. Make several directories down.
1b. Go up and down between them.
1c. Removed them.

2. Show who is logged in.
3. show when the system was booted up.
4. Display a calendar for next month.
5. Show the help for doing calendars.
6. Show what processes are running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DS2K3
Not sure what you mean byt he first one, but the command to makea a directory is "mkdir directory_name"

1b: "cd .." goes up a level and "cd directory_name" goes into a directory
1c: "rm -rf dir_name" removesa a directory and all it's contents without prompting

2 - "users" command will list them

3 - "Uptime" will show how long it has been running

4 - ?

5 - "man name_of_command" gives the system manual for the specified command

6 - "ps -Al" lists all processes, or "top" gives an interactive list showing CPU/memory usage etc and Updates every few seconds

D
DS2K3
I jsut found this: http://www.pixelbeat.org/cmdline.html

It has a section about calendar commands, so it looks like what you need. You might want to download a liveCD like ubuntu just to practice on

D
Jim
Jesus I wish my classes where that easy. Holy crap I had to write a program that implimented most of the functionality of the make program in two weeks. Man, what school are you at, I am transfering.
as2100
That's nothing. I'm taking 'Intro to American Government'! tongue.gif
Jim
OO I didn't know we were throwing in lib ed courses too, but i don't think I can beat that. My lib eds have all been pretty hard, but thats my fault. Political Philosphy, Age of St. Augustine of Hippo, Global Poltics.... The CS courses are a pain though. Speaking of which, I smell a general discusion thread coming on.
chrisw
to answer 1a:

the answer is mkdir -p dir/dir1/dir2

should create the initial directory: dir

then create the sub-dirs of :

dir1....then under that directory it would create

dir2....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.