Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Path - Baffled!
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
eliroven
Hi guys and gals

I am trying to install an app that requires GCONF SCHEMAS AND MIME TYPES.

I am running SuSe 9.3 Pro on this machine and I checked that these two items where already installed.

I moved onto my "./configure, make and make install" procedure but failed at the first hurdle.

When I type ./configure in the directory where I extraced the tarball file, I got the following message:

CODE
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for gconftool-2... no
configure: error: gconftool-2 executable not found in your path - should be installed with GConf

From this I gather that the command gconftoo-2 is not istalled or not in my PATH.

I followed this with "which gconftool-2" and the reply came:

/opt/gnome/bin/gconftool-2

so, the command is in that path, then if I do "echo $PATH"

I find that this /opt/gnome/bin/ is included in my $PATH, so why cant ./configure get to gconftool-2??

An interesting item that might have the clue, is that if I do "which gconftool-2" from the directory where I extracted the tarball, I dont get a result, Could it be that the PATH is ... I dont, know where I am going, but there might be something here....

I appreciate any help.

TIA

eliroven
DS2K3
Did you execute "which path" as the same user you are running ./confgiure under? Different users sometimes have different paths (and root nearly always has additional ones).

D
Hemant
yeah.. thats correct , in any case:

why not do this and try this:

# export PATH="/opt/gnome/bin:$PATH"

and then try compiling your package.It should work fine.
Termina
Or you could always just 'ln -s /opt/gnome/bin/gconftool-2 /usr/bin/gconftool-2" =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.