Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dvd Freezes Novell Linux
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
fullur
I am using Novell Desktop Linux. Whenever I insert a DVD into the drive while it is running, the system locks up. When I start the workstation with a disk already inserted, it works until I log in and then once login is complete it freezes. The same dvds have no adverse affect on windows xp. These are data dvds. No autorun on them. Any idea what is going on? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Phillip
Linux Newbie doesn't begin to describe it
fullur
Since this is apparently not the right place to ask this question, could someone please point me to the right place?
michaelk
Sorry...
I am not real familar SuSE AKA Novell. I searched a few linux forums and did a basic google but could not find anything that would help. However, I would try disabling automount and see what happens. You will need to manually edit your /etc/fstab file.

change:
/dev/dvd /media/dvd subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
to
/dev/dvd /media/dvd auto ro,noauto,user,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

BTW have you checked Novell's website for any solutions?
fullur
I appreciate your assistance. I made the change and the system no longer freezes up. My problem now is that I am not sure how to mount the disks. tongue.gif
michaelk
In a console window type the following command:
mount /media/dvd
fullur
Could have sworn I had tried that before. But, seeing as it worked this time and had not before I would guess that I had not. tongue.gif So one final question. Could you explain to me what those command line switches did or point me to a place where I could find this info please. Thank you very much for your help. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.