Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Redhat And Cisco Network Connection
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
xmitterguru
I am trying to place a Redhat Linux computer on our network and it takes 2 hours for the network connection to take effect. I can ping to the Redhat computer but can not ping from the Redhat Linux computer. After about 2 hours it suddenly starts working. I have changed out our Cisco switch thinking it is something in the ARP table the problem still exists. I have even reloaded Redhat on a new machine and it stioll occurs. I have now loaded a new machine with Fedora and it still does it. I can survive the initial 2 hours but everytime I reboot it gets old. Any ideas?
JCoyne
Couple of questions on your setup.

What type of Cisco switch is it? 1900, 4500, 2950 ..etc.

When you are pinging the Linux box, it is from the local network (only switches between boxes) or you are pinging from a remote network (a router is involved?)

Are you using VLANs / InterVlan routing?

Is the port you are connecting the Linux box to using auto-configure? Have you tried to manual set the speed and duplex?

Can you show use some debug info from the switch?
DS2K3
Info on the card would also be helpful. Can you provide the output of "ethcfg" and "lspci"? ("dmesg" might also help) Preferably before and after it has started working.

D
xmitterguru
The switch is a Cisco 2950 XL
When pinging to it, it is from an internal IP, from external could not ping. Have found a work around by clearing the Cisco Router IP ARP Cache for the Redhat Hat IP address.
We are not using VLANS.
WE have tried configuring the switch for differnent configurations of duplex and speed and the problem still exists.

Is there a way of turning off ARP in Redhat and is this advisable?

On another note is there anyway to password protect or restrict access to the Network configuration while still allowing full access to the machine?
Termina
Only root should be able to have access to network configuration (commands like ipconfig, and the like). Regular users cannot use these.

That's strange; RedHat has an ( R )ARP server on by default?

I would turn that off, unless you plan on using that and TFTP to boot machines over the network. Especially if it's causing problems. wink.gif

I'm sure there's a way to turn it off, RedHat should have a services panel somewhere in the menu under Admin Tools or something similar (assuming you're doing this via GUI).

Otherwise, 'ps -A | grep arp' to see if anything like that is running. Kill it if it is. Then remove any scripts in rc.d that are arp (will probably look like: S##arp and K##arp).

Also, what version of RedHat is this? Enterprise edition? RedHat9? One of the Fedoras?

If it's fairly old, your best bet might be to upgrade your kernel, or see if there's an updated driver for your ethernet card (which seems to be the main problem). If possible, swap it out with something that doesn't cause all these problems. =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.