Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mandriva Won't Boot
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Nether
I recently tried to install Debian but I got various errors while installing, apparently from corruption when I burnt the ISO. I decided to try Mandriva and I haven't had sucess there either.

First my system specs:
AMD Turion 64 Processor
Chipset: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200P
1GB DDR 333
ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700
100GB ATA/100 HD
I think that's all the important information..

I managed to succesfully install Mandriva Linux 2005LE x86_64 on a seperate partition. Once I arrive at the Lilo bootloader and select 'linux' I receive the following error during the boot-up:
'Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing int= option to kernel.'

I've tried booting in failsafe mode as well as linux_nonfb but they all produce the same error. This is what comes up before the error occurs:
CODE
mounting root filesystem with flags noatime
mount: error 6 mounting ext3 flags noatime
well, retrying without option flags
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
well, retrying read-only without flags
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed:2
umount /initrd/sys failed:2
umount /initrd/proc failed:2
initrd finished
freeing unused kernel memory: 220k freed
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found...

I tried re-installing the boot-loader from the rescue console and I also re-installed the whole thing but nothing changed. One odd thing I've noticed though is when I typed 'lsparts' in the recovery console it gave me a read-out of all my partitions/filesystems and for some reason both /home and / partitions were listed as ext2 filesystem. I know for a fact that I selected ext3 filesystem during both installs and mentions ext3 partitions in the actual boot process. Furthermore during the boot-up I noticed the following line near the error:
CODE
VFS: Mounted Root (ext2 filesystem)

I don't really know anything about Linux but it still strikes me as wrong that it can't decide on the filesystem of the drive.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this I'd greatly appreciate it.
Corey
Sounds like this could be a problem with Mandriva. Try re-installing one more time and select Reiserfs instead of ext3 and see if that works.
Nether
QUOTE (Corey @ Sep 20 2005, 12:34 PM)
Sounds like this could be a problem with Mandriva.  Try re-installing one more time and select Reiserfs instead of ext3 and see if that works.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried re-installing Mandriva using ReiserFS as my filesystem. I ended up getting the same errors except with ReiserFS in the place of ext3:
CODE
mount: error 6 mounting reiserfs
etc..

However, at least lsparts and the boot process both agree on the filesystem. lsparts now states ReiserFS as being the filesystem. Better than before I suppose tongue.gif

By the way it still states:
CODE
VFS: Mounted Root (ext2 filesystem)

I'm not sure if that's just something it'll do regardless of the filesystem.
Thank you though, I appreciate all the help I can get about this smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.