Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing/compiling Packages
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Sesshy
Since this is my first post, you can probably guess that I know next to nothing about Linux. I'm operating Mandriva 10.2 with core 2.6.11. Whenever I try to compile and install packages, I encounter the same problem: the ./configure command usually works fine, but when I use the "make" or "make install" command, I get an error saying there are no rules for making the module, or something along those lines. This seems to happen without exception. Somebody please help me, I have no sound, and I want firefox 1.0.6 x_x
DS2K3
Firefox and most other things can be sintalled using the tool in DrakCoonf (the Mandrake control centre)

There is no need to compile software unless it is an obscure or bleeding-edge program.

D
Sesshy
Well, that may be, but my alsa drivers have to be compiled... Without them I have no sound. x_x
DS2K3
Copy and paste the output here, it is hard to diagnose the problem without a specific error message.

D
Hemant
no man.. configure step didnt go correct.
there could be thousand reasons for that.But one ,is now a days most Linux distros have removed compiled kernel headers from the distro(i mean the headers against which the working kernel is compiled).Thus installing external modules is hell of a work.

install the source code of the kernel.The version should be the same with the one that you are using.After that you compile that kernel.dont install anything,just compile the kernel from source.If this step goes correct proceed to install your modules.
DS2K3
To install the kernel-source on Mandriva 10.2 (LE), just run "urpmi kernel-source" as root and select option 1 (kernel-source-2.6-2.6.11-6mdk.i586)

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.