Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Login Problems
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
roller
OK...totally new to Linux. I just installed RedHat 8 and after completion it reboots into text mode asking me for a local host login: I put it but Im at a Linux prompt, reminds me of a DOS prompt and I have no idea what commands to use to get to my gnome GUI I installed....can anyone help please! sad.gif
chrisw
to start gnome...
just type the following

startx
roller
This is what I get
unable to locate/open config file
fatale server error
no screens found
johnnabn
i've got that error with some installs. I tried everything I could think of, but i couldn't get it. So I reformatted and reinstalled, and it worked fine.
roller
I've installed like 5 times....the times that it's booted to the GUI it's all blurry...I even set my resolution low during the install to 800*600...Ive kept true color though...maybe I should reinstall and go 16 bit?
roller
OK I did another install...this time I set my res to 600*800 and my color to 16 bit...I tested them during the install and I could see the desktop.....then, wham I log in and geuss what?? Same shit....no mouse control or keyboard control and half the screen is blurry....what's up?
chrisw
is your video card and monitor supported by redhat 8.0

is it capatible....?

if so are the settings shown set proper for your monitor and video card?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.