Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cannot Logon
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
brock
Hi,

I had a power cut (UPS did not do a controlled shutdown) on a server running SuSE8.0 and now it does not start up correctly. During th bott message it stop at: 'Warning: unable to open initial console' and just stays like that. I cannot login or do anything. The server hasn't been rebooted in ages, at a guess 2 years and has been running quite happily. Any help appreciated as there is a hell of a lot of data on a 1TB RAID.

sorry for the double post - nad i have now just read the note about it!
Jim
Have you tried loging in under single user mode? It would at least give you access to the data. I am not sure what you would do ounce you were loged in. I would start by checking the logs to try to figure out why its not booting correctly.

Just hit google and I am sure you can find a walkthrough on single user mode if you don't already know how to do it.
DS2K3
there is a hell of a lot of data on a 1TB RAID.

Does that mean, "I dont have a backup" ?

If you canboot into single user mode, then check that both /bin/bash and /bin/sh are wroking, if not symlink one to the other (renaming the orignal first). That will help if the default one has become corrupted, then just reinstall it.

D
brock
This is a mirror backup server whcih is at a remote site, but a short walk away.It mirrors the data from the other linux server so it is the backup. Every weekend this gets backed up to tape. I'm not sure I should be so worried about the temporary unavailabilty of the data (it's not actually lost as such I guess) on the RAID as I could always mount it again some how- I think. It's the OS on a separate drive that that has got screwed up. I'm pretty new to linux, my colleague who looked after the linux side of things has left and I've been left to pick up the pieces. I'm not sure I will be able to get to single user mode as I don't even get a prompt - I'll give it a go though. Do I boot from the DVD and run rescue?
DS2K3
If the system boots using grub, then you can edit the boot options given to the kernel. Try adding "single" to the end. If you're using LiLo, then you might need to boot from the DVD.
brock
Well I do feel slightly out of my depth at the moment - what I've done so far is to boot using the DVD and used the 'Rescue' option. I've managed to mount /dev/hda and also mounted /dev/sda and all the data on the RAID is there as I expected. I guess I now heck /var/log/messages - anything in particular I should look out for?

I'm uncertain as what to do next, something has got corrupted and I could find no way to enter single user mode, but at least the file system is now mounted so that has got be a start - I hope unsure.gif
DS2K3
fsck /dev/hda1

Will scan the partition 1 on HDA for any filesystem problems. It might be worth giving a shot.

D
brock
I'll give it a shot. I've actually mounted /dev/hda3 - fstab reports that hda1 is boot & linux, hda2 swap and hda3 linux. Couldn't find anything much in the log files, the last entry is that /etc/cron.d had failed, not sure this is significant or not. When I try to go into rescue mode ALT+F10 I get the following error message 'cannot load map file' which could be worrying if it is related to the /boot/map file. Is there any way of re-installing the OS but leaving the bulk of your original config intact? What would happen if I use the SuSE9.2 DVD and use that as an upgrade?

I've noted a few other error messages during the failed boot process: 'cannot open /dev/console: no such file' and 'umount not found'
DS2K3
Upgrades can be problemtic, and I wouldnt recceomend them normally. But, it might fix the problem. YOu might be able to use the original DVD, and choose the "upgrade" option, which is probably safer, since it will just overwrite all your current binaries, leaving config intact. What is the server sued for? There might not be anything that needs much configuration.

D
brock
I'm also worried about the upgrade option, it is my my option of last resort!
fsck didn't find any errors - reports back 'clean'.

The server copies over all the data that is stored on the other linux server and desktop PCs every night, that why it's called 'mirror'. It actuallly does an incremental every night but anything you add to the other server (or root of your PC C drive) on also gets copied - it uses rysnc. It has, as far as I can tell, a basic SuSE8.0 install with all the backup data stored on the RAID /dev/sda1. There are however quite a few custom written scripts which work with rysnc.
Jim
When you partitioned your data drives for install how did you do it? Like on my boxes I always put /home on a seperate partition so I can format and re-install/upgrade without risking my data, same goes for /var on my servers. If you did this, it is obviously much easier to upgrade with less risk to your data, just don't let the installer touch the /var floder or where ever your data is. You will loose your configs in /etc but that is a small price. I suggest copying over important config files like postfix/main.cf or httpd.conf and the such or what ever is important to you.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions.
brock
My former colleague set the server up and his knowledge of linux (and Unix) was pretty advanced (he set up one of the first ISP in the UK in the 80's using a satellite link - it was MOD related) Well I mounted each partition one at a time and then did a 'ls'. hda1 has a home directory which is empty - there are also the usual suspect there as well. hda2 is swap, hda3 has a home directory and my former colleagues home area is there a long with lots of other directories holding various scripts for rsync so I guess that is the one with all the goodies in it! So do I just upgrade/install over hda1? If yes I assume I can just copy over the various scripts over to there if I wish, or, in fact, not have to bother at all as hda3 will still be intact, which would be nice and just the sort of thing my former colleague would have thought of.

I had a look at a new SuSE9.2 install and when I use 'df' it just shows 'hda2' - why is this so? I guess it still has a separate partition for swap etc?

I'm kicking myself for not taking an image of the server - well at least the data is still there and the server it is backing up has RAID5 with a hot spare.

BTW both /bin/bash and /bin/sh are there on hda3 and symlink seem Ok.

Also - all the Linux servers are setup at run level 3 so I don't use a GUI - it's been a bit of steep learning curve!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.