Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Authentication For Access Internet
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
CFHo
Halo, i wanna ask something.

Now i wanna setup a proxy in the system. What i know is, proxy can block those web site that you wish to. Is it able to set the authentication for access? Just like when the user wanna access to Internet, there popup a window and allow the user key-in their log-in ID and password. Can able to do this? Can somebody teach me how to make it? And what type of proxy able to do this? Is it every proxy able to do this?

Thanks for help!
DS2K3
A proxy server sits between the usre and the internet, and fetches pages and files on behalf of the user. Because all content goes through the proxy, decisions can be amde based on it, and it can be replaced with other content, eg a "Sorry, this site is blocked" message.

Squid is probably the most widely-used open-source proxy server, and it supports both content-filtering and user-accounts (ie username/password). BUT, in my experience setting up Squid with SquidGuard (the content-filter) is a nightmare. You have to keep the blacklists updated, set up tons of rules, and it is pretty slow. Since Squidguard keeps blacklists in memory at least some of the time, it's pretty resource-intensive too.

If you reallly do want to block content, and check user-acocunts then there are tutorials and tons of info on the web - But it might be more trouble than it is worth.

D
matt
Also check out TinyProxy http://tinyproxy.sourceforge.net/
CFHo
I download the tinyproxy from the web site and i install it with the installation guide that there provided. But i still do not know how to configure the proxy. Where should i set the block and authentication in the proxy there? Which part i need to set up the thing?

Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.