Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Small Efficient Distribution
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
tomskaczmarek
I am new to linux and trying to find a small efficient distribution that will work with a wireless card on an older laptop. I have installed Debian and (after many hours of dowloading and installation) the performance is pathetic.

The laptop was running Windows 98 with reasonable response but I could not find a driver for the wireless card. I didn't want to upgrade to Windows 98 ME so I thought I'd try linux, which seems to have great fan support.

I really only want a browser tools and wireless support. Can anyone make a suggestion?
Corey
Well, in my opinioin, Debian is probably the best for this purpose for the fact that you can control what gets installed and what doesn't. Other suggestions maybe distributions like Damn Small, Ubuntu, etc. Check out Distrowatch.com for a comprehensive list of distributions for linux. You can also find links to many reviews that may help you in your decision.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.