Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help With An Old Computer
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
ph03n1x
Hi. Thank you for spending your time to read this post. I am building a test desktop (possibly file server) on a 166 machine. I have run into 2 major problems at the moment. The BIOS won't support booting from a cd, (however, like the win95 install if you loaded a dos diskette to it and loaded CD-Rom drivers I could run the CD-rom drive), and the other problem, the machine has 64mb ram, with a 166mhz pentium 1. Of course I am going to need a distro with fluxbox, but is there any newer distro (2.0+ so I could possibly run NDISwrapper) that can run decently on an old comp like this, and could someone show me a good distro that can be loaded from diskette or a live diskette that can load a distro(tried to run zool linux but it crashed on startup)?

Thank you,
ph03n1x
Termina
Hello

If this is going to be a file server, why will you want a window manager on it? Why not use SSH/Samba as the only services running on the machine? tongue.gif

Fluxbox will run on any new distro, but the only one I can think of that that comes with it is Slackware.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.