So I once again showed how green I am at this Linux stuff by buying yet another piece of hardware without checking if there were any known problems with it in Linux. And of course there are, that's Murphy's law. The hardware I'm reffering to is a two port kvm switch. The monitor and keyboard work just fine, but the ps2 mouse jumps around all over the place, opening and closing programs and moving the panel around as it goes. Sometimes it stops on its own, and sometimes I have to do ctr-alt-backspace (that's all I know to do to stop it) because it's gone and opened like 100 instances of firefox or something. It doesn't do it constantly, but it does it ofen enough to make the system pretty much unusable. It especially likes to do it right after I start a program (any program will do). I've read in some old threads that some people had this problem with the previous release of Ubuntu (Warty); I have Hoary installed, but they only experienced it immediately after switching from one computer to the other with the kvm.Mine seems to do it whenever it wants. And it's definitelly getting worse the longer I go without restarting. I've tried the following to fix the problem:

I edited the /etc/modules file like so:

CODE
ide-cd
ide-disk
ide-generic
lp
mousedev
[COLOR=green]psmouse proto=exps [/COLOR]
rtc
sbp2 sr_mod

and like this:

CODE
ide-cd
ide-disk
ide-generic
lp
mousedev
[COLOR=blue]psmouse proto=bare[/COLOR]
rtc sbp2
sr_mod

I read in other places that these things fixed similar problems for others. However, for me the first thing actually seemed to make it worse and the second change didn't help much either. It may have made the problem milder but that's probably my imagination. I also read that I could try unloading and reloading my mouse driver module, but I compiled the mouse drivers into the kernel (I'm a newbie and I wasn't sure I'd be able to load them as a module when I compiled my kernel). Could that also be why the above fixes didn't work for me? Is there anything else I can try to get this working or should I totally give up on the whole 2 computers, 1 monitor, mouse and keyboard thing?

I should also mention that I am using the 2.6.12 kernel.

One last thing. Someone suggested I should try slowing down the mouse pointer acceleration. Maybe I should start there. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Edit: I should also include the type of kvm switch: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MP...PC-2000&cat=CBL
(it's just some generic no name thing)

and my mouse is a usb logitech optical mouse plugged into a usb to ps2 converter.