Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Debian Lan Problems
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
Boncho_
Hello, guys. I am quite new in linux so I would appreciate a little bit of help. I have an old Pentium on 200 MHz, which i have to use sometimes. It is with a network adapter SMC EtherEZ (8416). During the Debian installation I left the network settings for later. Then i tried to set the network adapter with pppoeconf, but my computer didn't recognize my adapter. I started "aptitude" and then installed "modconf", which helped me to install a driver for my network adapter. After restart my computer recognized my network adapter. After that I tried programs/system settings/network and there I created a connection using interface eth0. Then I saw that in "/etc/network/interfaces" all my settings were saved. Only I can't find anything about the DNS servers. I set the names of the two DNS servers in "programs/system settings/network". I activated the new connection and really in the window it looks activated. But when I use ifup it gives me message "Network unreachable". Why does it happen? Does anybody have any idea? Is there something i am missing?
Please someone help me start the network.
michaelk
What is the output of the console command
/sbin/ifconfig
Boncho_
Thanks for the offered help! I solved my problems thanks to guys like you here who helped me. But one question remains mystery for me.
What is the relation between the IP address, network mask and gateway address?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.