Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Java In Linux
Linuxhelp > Support > Programming in Linux
qBANG
I am a 100% total n00b to this forum, I picked up a version of Mandrake (now "Mandriva") a long time ago and tried to learn it. I'm still in high school, where they use Windows XP Pro, so I don't boot Linux often. After taking a Java Programming class (Because I wanted to take the AP Exam), I was like "Hey, why not try my final project in Linux? I hadn't ever tried any Java in Linux. My server program worked fine, no problems. As soon as I opened the client, the JOptionPane.showInputDialog opened, asking for the IP as it should. However, there was no box to enter the IP address of the server in, is this a problem with Linux, or is it because I coded it in Windows to work with Windows? Any help is greatly appreciated. A link to a Mandrake Java compiler would be nice too.

thanks,
qBANG
DS2K3
Provided you are using official Java runtime environments from Sun, then java programs should run axactly the same on any platform.

I think the offical Java development kit (JDK) is available for Linux (having said that, I cant find any version of it on the sun website...)

How did you install java?

D
qBANG
I installed the Java JDK in Windows, coded and compiled it using Windows, and then I put it on a ThumbDrive, booted Mandrake, and tried it out there. As far as I know, Mandrake comes bundled with some form of java, because I didn't install it, and when I typed "java" in the konsole, it gave me a list of arguements. I followed it like it said to, and then my showInputDialog showed up, but it was more like a showMessageDialog . I'll probably just recode it and add in a new class file to the program to create a login screen if I can't figure it out.

Thanks for checking though.

qBANG
DS2K3
Is it a boxed version (ie bought from mandrakestore or a supplier)? The download edition doesnt come with Java etc. Try downloading a newer version of java from www.java.com (install instructions can be found at: http://www.goland.org/Installing_Java_in_Mandrake_9_1/

You should be able to uninstall the old version using the package manager in the control centre.

D
qBANG
Thanks for your help man, I did download a version of Mandrake off the site, but the program did run for some reason, I'll try that and get back to you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.