Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Install Debian
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
sixtwoten
There are so many CDs to download in Debian 3.1 so which ones are really needed to get the system up and running? I don't want to waste download time and CDs for those that are not needed.
Corey
Do you have a broadband internet connection? If so, you only need one cd:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r0...386-netinst.iso

This is the netinstall cd, you boot from it, install the base system, then any other software you want, you just apt-get install it. No need to waste your bandwidth downloading full cd's. This is the method i always use for debian.
sixtwoten
When you say "base system", is it a bloated system like Fedora or all the things that are absolutely necessary? I am looking to learn Linux from the very beginning so am looking for a minimal install. Is netinst what I am looking for, that is, a minimal install that makes me do everything and resultantly makes me learn all the good stuff?
Corey
Base system is just that, a system that will let you boot up and login. It will have all the basic GNU tools and stuff, you basically start from scratch and apt-get everything that you want. 0 bloat. Using this method you have the most control over what is installed on your system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.