Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stuck In Console
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
QwertyKing56
Ok. What happened is: I'm running Mandrake 9.1, logged in as a normal user, and in E-term, I used "su" to get myself to root, and typed "chmod -R 777 /". Obviously, this wasn't a smart move, because as soon as it completed, X shut down, and threw me into console. I tried "xconsole", but it said that it couldn't launch display. "su" doesn't work in console, and when I try to log in as root, it tells me it's invalid, so I can't chmod back to 755, where I think it was. Any suggestions short of a reinstall?
michaelk
IMHO it would be easier to just reinstall. It is going to be a difficult task trying to change everything back since you can not use a global command. Not all files in all directories have the same permissions.

You can boot the 1st CD and select rescue mode if you need access to the drive in order to copy any important files.

So what were you trying to accomplish?
DS2K3
You could take the oppourtinty to upgrade to 10.2 (LE 2005) which has quite a few imporvements over the 9.x mandrake series, including a 2.6 series kernel.

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.