Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gentoo Installation!
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Ravage_D
Hey,

I just downloaded the most recent universal distribution of Gentoo. I stick the CD in and it boots up all right, or so it seems.
I get to the part where I can select which kernels I want to use (Gentoo, gentoo-nofb and memtest86). I don't need the nofb option, so I select Gentoo and it says,
Loading Gentoo ..............................................
something else flashes with more ..................

Then nothing. Blank screen!

No options are working for me here, any suggestions? O_o

Cheers,

-Ravage D'Selth
Corey
This could be many things, let's start with the obvious....

What type of monitor do you have? Size? Brand? etc.
Ravage_D
Hey,

The monitor is a just a non-descript Dell 17inch monitor. It doesn't say anything on it, so finding the actual model number is difficult...
With your advice, I tried another monitor just to see if that was the problem, and I see things! So it must be the Dell monitor..

How do I get it to work with the Dell Monitor?
I plugged it back into the Windows machine it's normally connected to and according to Windows...it is a Dell M781s monitor.

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers,

-Ravage D'Selth
DS2K3
Its probably using a resolution thaty isnt supported by the monitor. Have you tried using the "nonfb" option?

My monitor for instance wont go below 640x480

D
Ravage_D
Hey,

When trying gentoo-nofb, the usual things happen

Loading gentoo...............
Loading gentoo.igz......................
Ready.

Then it just sits like that. Nothing else happening sleep.gif
Corey
Yeah, i have had some massive problems with Dell monitors (17 inches or less) and newer linux distros. I haven't quite been able to nail down what the problem is exactly, at first i thought it was Xorg causing the problem, but Debian chokes as well. But yeah, the problem is the Vertical refresh and horizontal sync are out of range.
Ravage_D
So what should I do? Install it with the crappy monitor then switch it over to the Dell one? O_o

Perhaps I should fill out a bug report or something...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.