Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modem Detection
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Dranorter
The short version:

Help! My computer can't detect my modem! Its supposed to be linux compatible... Not even the supposedly formidable detection capabilities of Knoppix were able to find it, but I'm as sure as I can be that I installed it correctly. What can I do to make my computer see my modem?

The Long Version:

I have been searching for several months for a modem compatible with Linux, using an online listing detailing modem compatibility ( http://www.devidal.tv/~chris/winmodems/pci_list.html ). I finally found one from US Robotics, and was extatic when I found that its product description actually mentioned its Linux-compatibility as a major feature ( http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...9301&pfp=SEARCH ). I bought the modem and happily put into my computer where the old, Linux-incompatible one had been.

Unfortunately, things did not go well from there. The instructions for Linux say

"All 2.3 and higher Linux kernels contain the US Robotics Linux modem drivers. Installation of the modem is fully automatic provided your kernel has the Plug and Play module enabled (default)."

Looks pretty promising to someone who knows none of the technical stuff. Then I proceeded to the next portion of the instructions, "Verify that the modem is properly installed". It said something about checking for a new "/dev/ttyX" serial port listing, which I kind of understand (actually I probably don't), but I don't know what do to check for a new one. It said to start a Minicom session, and gave instructions for creating a symbolic link to the modem, which returned error messages when I typed them in. It said use KPPP or equivalent... I'n not even sure I have something equivalent to KPPP.

So I got out my "Linux for Dummies" book, and looked up dialup connections. This portion of the book seemed poorly organized, and also was insultingly dummied-down (unlike some parts). It told me to use wvdialsetup, and gave some instructions. I did, but wvdialsetup told me it didn't find a modem. It said to maybe use some other command to configure the somethingorother... I tried this, but didn't really know how to do it.

The next thing I tried was putting in my Knoppix disk and trying to connect to the internet that way. Upon startup I was pleased to find that Knoppix included KPPP, so I tried it. It doesn't seen to see the modem either. My country (US) wasn't in the list of countries in the wizard, so I had to use the manual dialogue box thingy, which looked pretty straightforward, but couldn't find the modem when I tried to "Query Modem".

I tried the modem in both of my PCI slots. What else can I do? Would a different distribution of Linux help?

Specs

I am using Debian on a Compaq Presario 5050.
The version of Debian was installed form only two disks, and is therefore missing some of the Debian software packages.
My modem is US Robotics 56K V.92 Performance Pro Modem.

I Thank you for any help you can provide in getting my computer to connect to the internet.
-Dran
Corey
It said something about checking for a new "/dev/ttyX" serial port listing, which I kind of understand (actually I probably don't), but I don't know what do to check for a new one. It said to start a Minicom session, and gave instructions for creating a symbolic link to the modem, which returned error messages when I typed them in. It said use KPPP or equivalent... I'n not even sure I have something equivalent to KPPP.

The /dev directory contains "links" or "nodes" to all the devices on your system. When you go into that directory and do a 'ls', you'll see probably hundreds of different "files". For example, /dev/hdaX is the first IDE device in your computer, /dev/hdbX is the second IDE device, /dev/input/mice is your USB mouse, etc.

Now, i will assume that this modem connects to a serial port which means most likely, we will have to access it on one of the 4 serial ports:

/dev/ttyS0 => COM1 in Windows
/dev/ttyS1 => COM2
/dev/ttyS2 => COM3
/dev/ttyS3 => COM4

At this point of setting up a modem, i usually just guess which one is the correct one because i don't know any better. So, while inside KDE, open up your terminal window (konsole). And type "su -" and then enter your root password.

Now, open up Kppp. and put in your username/password, then click "setup". On the dial tab, put in your ISP's phone number, and the authentication method (the default could be fine). Then press "Ok". Next, go to the Device tab, and from the modem device dropdown, choose "/dev/ttyS0". Now, click on the "Modem" tab, and click "Query Modem". What we're trying to do here is to determine which port your modem is connected through. There may be an easier way to do this, but i don't know how. If this is the correct port, you should see some sort of response back from the modem. If it's not, go back to the Device tab, and try the next device (/dev/ttyS1) and so on. If none of the 'ttyS' devices work, you can try the other ones.

If none of them work, you may need some sort of external driver, which i doubt. Let us know if this helps at all.
Dranorter
As I said, I do not have KPPP on my Debian system, so I used Knoppix, and did not have any luck.

I got in touch with the creators of the modem, who said that there were seperate installation instructions online which I should look at. They also pointed me to a Red Hat Package Manager Support File. To use this, I would have to install Red Hat rather than my current version, right? I have Fadora Core 3 install disks, but I would like to avoid re-installation if possible.

Thank you verily for your help.
-Dran
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.