Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ubuntu And Cedega
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
docmur
I need some help getting cedega for Ubuntu. I can't run the RPM because of the APT so can someone help. THe same holds true for Wine which I also need.

Thanks Docmur
DS2K3
Download and compile wine yourself - Just make sure you have the development pakages installed. Not sure where you would get Cedega from - If they only provide RPMs, you will either have to find a way of isntalling RPMs on Debian/Ubuntu or switch to an RPMbased distro like Fedora.

D
Termina
QUOTE (docmur @ Jun 12 2005, 06:26 AM)
I need some help getting cedega for Ubuntu. I can't run the RPM because of the APT so can someone help. THe same holds true for Wine which I also need.

Thanks Docmur

If you're paying for the service, they have .deb files on their site.

Otherwise, go to the site you found it and find a .deb version. smile.gif

Also, you can convert RPM to .deb

alien --to-deb cedega*.rpm
alien -i cedega*.deb
Corey
IMO, there's no point using cedega unless you use the paid-for packages, otherwise you should just use Wine.
DS2K3
I'm no expert, sut since wine can use native Windows DLLs, and ActiveX is a set of DLLs, is there a chance that you could use actual DirectX with Wine (or at least in the future)? Haing said that - If you want to run a Windows game, run Windows. Windows 98 is pretty low in the disk-usage league and runs virtually all games.

D
Corey
Wine does run directx as far as i know. now, weather it supoprts directx9, i don't know.

The statement that Windows98 can run virtually any game is not so true anymore. The majority of applications and games that have come out within the last couple of years only work well, if at all, on Windows 2000/XP. The new Battlefield2 demo that's out will complain that it has only been tested on XP, it may work in Windows 2000, however, this goes to show the mentality of game manufacturers, they're starting to ignore all other releases. I guess many of them are gearing towards the future release of Longhorn (whenever that will be).

To further my statement on if you're going to use WineX (Cedega's) cvs tree you might as well use Wine is because of the fact that the majority of 'enhancements' that Transgaming adds to their release is in the form of copy-protection, which as I'm sure you know, almost all games ship with these days. Due to Transgamings NDA's, they can't merge these with the CVS for free downloads. And, i'm not quite sure about this, but I got a feeling that Wine's development cycle and cvs updates are probably far more frequent then Transgamings cvs. That being the fact that Wine is focused on their CVS while transgaming does it just to look more like a community-friendly company (read: PR).

My statements aren't based on any real researched facts, i'm just going with what I know and what i've heard.
DS2K3
heh - I guess I should get some "big" games. Sims2 runs nice on '98, come to think of it, the only 3D games I own / have-copy-of [for "backup" purposes] are "The Sims 2" and "War of the Ring". Monkey Island is still the best...
Corey
for "backup" purposes

lol. you have to have the original for it to be a "backup". smile.gif
Termina
Corey, cedega is for games, after all. wink.gif

I can't imagine wine working for games that require directx.... biggrin.gif
DS2K3
"off-site" backup
Corey
There are plenty of games that work for Wine, two that come to mind immediatly are Half Life and Diablo2. I'm sure there are plenty more that do work.

According to WineHQ, it supports DirectX and Direct3d (limited direct3d support). I can't find any mention of what version, but, if you look at the apps database you can find many games listed there.
DS2K3
Stuff is generally easier to make work if you install it in a real windows environment. The installation programs seem to pose the biggest problem for a lot of software. dry.gif Plus you have the advantgae of loads of "offical" M$ dlls to play with.
docmur
Okay well thanks. I have overall made my choice. I have removed ubuntu and put on Suse 9.2 pro 64 bit. Ubuntu had other problems that I didn't like so I changed. Um so ya thanks for the help but I think I will stay with Suse. It is the Linux that I started with and I think it will be the one that I will stay with.
matt
I have all the Cedega Debs for Ubuntu.
I just dpkg -i cedega*version*.deb
and wala
configured and set up fine

Usually you have to use Point-to-play.
But if your not a paying user just open a terminal where your game exe is and run cedega filename.exe. It should pop up and run great. smile.gif or if your lazy set the associations for exes to run with cedega
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.