Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Install File?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
castle24
I am brand new to Linux and know very little about it. I am using SuSe Linux and have downloaded a version of Novell's consoleone and cannot seem to install it. It is a tar.gz file. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Cory
Corey
First you need to extract the file. A *.tar.gz file is like a zip file. The two extensions mean the following:

tar: is an archive format, it basically takes a bunch of files and make's them one file. Think of this as a zip file without the compression.

gz: gzip format, this is the compression part.

To extract the archive do the following:

tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz

This should create a new directory with the extracted files like "ConsoleOne" or something similar.

The next step is to enter into the directory and run the install program. I believe for consoleone, you'd do the following:

./c1-install

Good luck smile.gif
castle24
After typing this in I keep getting directory not found. Where do I need to place this file or how do I type in the path to it. I tried typing in a path and it gives me the same error
Cory
Corey
When in the console window, change to the directory with the tar.gz file, then extract it as i said above. After this, do a 'ls' to see what directory it extracted to, i was just guessing "ConsoleOne" because I couldn't really remember. Once you find out where it's extracted to, change into that directory, and run the c1-install file.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.