Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Kernel Freezes On Boot
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
caznetworks
Hi,

I finally got round to installing OpenS/WAN at work this weekend - well, almost, anyway. My problem is that the newly-compiled kernel freezes at "OK, Now booting the kernel..."

The system is a Cyrix 200Mhz running Slackware 10.0 (kernel 2.4.26). OpenS/WAN version is 2.3.1.

Here's what I did:
Removed the old /usr/src/linux (there were pieces of failed patch everywhere from the last sysop) and downloaded the source fresh from Slackware FTP.

cd'd to /usr/src/linux and ran:
CODE
make oldconfig; make dep; make bzImage
. All were successful. I think I'm right that oldconfig on a fresh download should be the same settings as the installed kernel?

cd'd to ~/openswan-2.3.1 and ran
CODE
make KERNELSRC=/usr/src/linux precheck verset kpatch
. All OK.

copied bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz_swan.

added:
CODE
image = /boot/vmlinuz_swan
 root = /dev/hda2
 label = LinuxSWAN
 read-only

to lilo.conf, set a boot menu timeout, and ran lilo.

Rebooted, and selected the new boot option. Then the error.

I suppose I could re-download the kernel source and try just compiling without the VPN code, but would that in the networking subsystem make any difference to the very first stages of the boot process?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Apologies for the long post!

Regards,

Alex
DS2K3
Do you get any error messages? A kernel panic? Anything?

Also, can you still boot the old kernel?

D
caznetworks
Nope, no error message, just freezes.

Thankfully the old kernel still boots fine.

I suppose I could re-download the kernel source and try just compiling without the VPN code, but would that in the networking subsystem make any difference to the very first stages of the boot process?

Update: Did the above - as expected, no difference. It still freezes at the same point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.